Social media – 2 words that either inspire you or fill you with dread! Let’s face it; we know it’s a key factor in engaging with potential clients and can totally impact our businesses’ growth, but how do we get it right?
As a salon owner and professional, your focus is likely on your Salon’s day-to-day running and providing the best skincare solutions to your customers. Social media may be another thing on your long to-do list, you might not be much of a tech wizard, and you are most probably time-poor! So, how can you inject some magic into your digital marketing strategy and get your social media to the place it needs to be?
We had the pleasure of welcoming Rachel Medlock of ‘Do You Even Social?” to Vital Plus last month, and her Talk was mind-blowing!
In this blog, we will summarise Rachel’s main points on how you can boost your social media reach and promote sales. It’s simple yet life-changing, and with the festive season nearly upon us, it’s the perfect time to put these strategies into action.
Christmas is always a busy time in the beauty industry, but 2021 is expected to be even more immense than usual! Getting your socials into tip-top shape will make the season a huge success.
Read on to find out more and add some festive cheer to your socials!
Why Social Media?
If the past two years have taught us anything about growing our businesses, it has to be the importance of digital marketing. From virtual consults to FB groups, more of our customers are engaging with the world online, and we must get on board!
Social media allows you to connect with your customers, increase awareness about your brand, and boost your leads and sales. It is a powerful tool in growing your business, and, as Rachel highlights, it doesn’t have to be a complex or terrifying process!
Social Media Essentials
First impressions do count! Ensuring you have the essentials in place will mean first-time visitors to your Pages will be impressed!
- Take a look at your usernames. Are they consistent across all of your platforms? You want to be found easily.
- Ensure your profile picture is your logo – this is what makes you recognisable.
- What’s your FB cover photo promoting? Take the chance to use an image that showcases your Xmas promos – this will be the first thing someone sees when visiting your page, so make it count!
- Check that your Instagram bio and FB profile are up to date. Let potential clients know who you are, what you’re about, what problems you can solve for them, how they can connect with you – your phone number, location, website, email, appointment booking link.
- Rachel’s final point in her list of essentials is your Instagram Name. This is different to your username but has a powerful reach. The arrows on the below image indicate where your name is located on Insta. They are a group of bold words that explain the problem you can solve – think, keywords that a potential client might be searching for when looking for a beauty salon like yours. Harness things such as your location, what treatments you specialise in, what type of beauty business you are. It will help your business to get found on Socials much more easily.
Boost Your Sales with Social Media
Your online shop is your BFF and was undoubtedly your saving grace during recent lockdowns! However, to fully reap the benefits of your online shop, it should be connected to your social media platforms. Once that is done, you can promote your shop in 3 main ways.
- Our recent Future Beauty Talk with Rachel highlights the importance of using a link sharing app like Linktree on Instagram. Insta doesn’t allow links within posts to be live, so they are redundant. So instead, when you want to make a call to action – such as go to our shop to buy this amazing product – you refer them to your Linktree via your bio. It’s a simple, effective way to keep all your relevant links in one place, ready for all your call-to-action posts!
- Once your online store is connected to your social media, you can access a mini-store on all of your platforms. The exciting factor here is that you can now tag that product every time you create a post or a Story about a particular product. This means the customer can click on that tag and go directly to your shop to purchase it! This is such an incredible tool to make Xmas shopping super easy for anyone who visits your page during the festive season!
- Rachel also discusses the FaceBook feature of Services, which has a mini treatment menu available to customers even before they’ve ventured onto your website. It is the perfect way to entice and create excitement. As with all of these tips, Rachel’s key motto is to make your shopping experience easy, quick and effective for your clients.
Harness your Social Media Hashtags
Hashtags are how you can reach the people who can benefit your business.
Currently, Instagram allows 30 hashtags per post and 10 per Story. While there are many differing opinions on how many is best to use, Rachel’s advice is to use the full amount – every hashtag is a chance to connect with your ideal client, so make the most of them!
On FB, hashtags are currently redundant, so it isn’t worth using any there, for now.
However, on Insta, they can have a major impact.
Here are some tips:
Engage your location when creating your hashtags – you want to draw in customers who can benefit from your Salon. Unfortunately, some hashtags such as #salon have millions of posts associated with them, meaning it will be harder for your post to be seen by relevant customers.
When putting together your perfect 30 hashtags, take a look at your dream client or avatar. What is that dream client looking for? Can you solve their problems?
Rachel offers five things to think about when creating your social media hashtags:
- Your location
- Your specialisations
- Who is your dream customer
- What’s actually going on in the photo
- Your featured brands and partners
When used correctly, hashtags can be very powerful and increase the overall reach of your post.
Content Inspo for your Social Media this Xmas
In her presentation with us, Rachel revealed the three highest engagement bringers to social media right now:
15, 30 and 60-second videos that can show up on your Story feed and in the reels section of your page.
Inspo ideas include unboxing retail gifts and Behind The Scenes Treatments.
Literal guides to whatever you like, based on the content you have previously posted on Instagram.
Inspo ideas Rachel shared include gift guides, stocking stuffers and Christmas trading details.
One minute or longer videos that can feature on your IG and FB Feeds and Stories.
Inspo ideas might involve longer retail rundowns, your promotions and offers or dedicated brand videos.
Watch the full video to get more inspo below!
What about your Stories and Highlights?
- Rachel’s advice is to show up every day. You can re-iterate your on-feed messages by using the same content in your Stories
- Get in front of the camera! It can feel awkward but showing your face and engaging directly with your clients is gold! It creates an emotional connection and is a highly effective marketing strategy.
- Use the engagement features available on Instagram. Stories that use polls and question buttons perform better and reach more people. It’s a great way of getting feedback from your audience too.
- As Insta stories expire after 24 hours, it’s important to build out your highlights and brand them so that old stories can be found.
As Rachel reminds us, tag your products in your stories and feed so that customers can click and buy! You have to ensure you link your platforms to your online store, as mentioned earlier.
Get Your Team Involved in Social Media
Your social media content will be more diverse and fresher when you pool together staff members ideas and content. Find times to create your content and build up a bank to be used over the coming weeks.
The key is to find ways to save time – planning well in advance and working as a team will keep your social media platforms well-populated and effective.
Pre-Christmas Socials Checklist
With the craziness that the festive season brings, Rachel shares her socials checklist to get you focused and ensure you’re not missing anything!
Update your trading hours on your socials and Google
Ensure you connect your shops to your social media platforms
Update any automated messages
Create a bank of content
Schedule that content – consider using scheduling tools, such as Planoly, posts in advance.
Share the load!!
Rachel Medlock and Do You Even Social?
Rachel is the owner and creative director of “do you even social?” She is a true wordsmith with a flair for fresh, sassy creativity that can transform your digital confidence.
Her talk truly inspired us, and we know you will be too! To watch Rachel’s full FBT, click here:
Rachel and Do You Even Social? provides an array of products and services to help you with your social media and more – get in touch with her to find out: https://www.doyouevensocial.com/
Wishing you all the best XMAS ever, and may your socials bring you new clients and much success.
VITAL PLUS – DISTRIBUTOR OF INNOVATIVE SKINCARE
Our fundamental beliefs are that skincare products must take a holistic approach, empowering the skin’s health. It is on these merits and philosophy that we select our range of skincare. We do not seek to supply beauty salons with short-term results but results sustained and enjoyed through the years.
We love sharing our passion for the beauty industry with our clients and love seeing them succeed. And when you’re struggling or feel challenged, we are ready to help you up and propel you towards solutions, ideas, and motivation. That’s what inspires us.
Supporting you in running a successful beauty business is our purpose.
1300 437 638 – Join our community of inspired and educated skincare professionals. Xx